Whether you have already had an LED treatment and bought a device, or are completely new to LED Light Therapy and are wondering how and why to use it, we are here to guide you. Here we answer your most common questions about LED.
1. How often should I use my LED Light Therapy Device?
For best results, treat skin for a minimum 3 to 5 days a week for 10 minutes to plump, brighten, lift, treat uneven skin tone and texture, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, heal inflammation, feed the mind, body, and soul, and hydrate the complexion.⠀
You can use the device according to your skin's needs and schedule. The body doesn’t store light, and instead processes it as it needs it. However it can only absorb so much, so once your batteries are fully charged, they’ll need to use the energy before requiring charging again - this of course is individual to the person and not something we can measure.
If you want to use it more than this, for example daily, it is perfectly safe to do so.
2. Can LED treat blemishes, despite not having blue light?
Our BOOST LED device is the perfect treatment to tackle blemishes firsthand. The BOOST at-home mask is made up of Red 633nm and Near-Infrared 830nm wavelengths light, which penetrates deep into the skin. It encourages healing, regenerates the cells, and soothes an inflamed complexion. Post-treatment, skin often glows as soon as the mask is removed.
You might have heard that blue light targets and balances blemish forming bacteria and Near-Infrared optimises overall skin health. But when using the BOOST LED Mask in tandem with our Cleanse and Recovery Spray, it offers similar antimicrobial benefits to blue 415nm light treating acne, blemishes, excessively oily skin, blackheads, and whiteheads. That said, Blue light on its own does not contribute to rejuvenation or regeneration. If blemishes are not present or your blue light is outside of the 415nm range (for example, 460 or 480), it will not have an effect on the skin.
Red 633nm and Near-Infrared 830nm, on the other hand, will help manage and improve all areas of skin health. If blemishes are present, they work on reducing inflammation and speeding up healing time, reducing the potential of pigmentation and scarring.
If we are to treat blemishes with Blue LED, we recommend our clients zap bacteria with Blue 415nm in The Light Salon and have our clients calm and support their complexions with the BOOST Red 633nm and Near-Infrared 830nm at-home. When using blue light, it’s essential to protect the eyes. Plus, we don’t want to over-treat the skin because if overused, Blue light can darken present pigmentation, which is why we like to treat with Blue in a controlled, salon environment by a professional.
3. How do I treat my skin pre and post LED light facial?
- CLEANSE. Start with a double cleanse, The Light Salon way. Remove any daily grime with our newly launched Enzymatic Cleanser and Mask, specifically formulated to safely prepare the skin prior to LED. We recommend no less than a 1-minute massage, not forgetting your hairline and down around the ears.
- SPRITZ. Your second cleanse is a very generous spritz of the Boost Cleanse & Recovery Spray across your full face, both sides, and down the centre. The key ingredient is Hypochlorous, a powerful antimicrobial, which offers the deepest of deep cleans.
- REPLENISH. Optional: While your face is still damp, apply an application of our Hydrating Peptide Serum, specifically formulated to work in conjunction with LED, or 3-4 drops of your favourite serum, preferably something with Hyaluronic, Niacinamide or Peptides. Allow to absorb into the skin. No essential oils, exfoliants or Retinols at this stage.
- BOOST LED MASK. Now it's time to really give back to your skin. Take your Boost LED Mask, secure the back and top straps, and deliver a 10 minute dose of light.
POST CARE. Daytime: remove your Boost and apply a nourishing moisturiser, with uplifting circular strokes and tapping movements. Follow with an even layer of SPF to the whole face, not forgetting up to the hairline and neck.
Night-time: remove your Boost and apply your PM resurfacing or Retinol products.
4. How do the at-home LED Devices differ from treatment in a salon?
Whether you are enjoying LED in the comfort of your home or in one of our salons, you will benefit from:
- Clinically proven Red 633nm and near-infrared 830nm wavelengths
- Glowing and plump skin - both instantly and long-term
- Enhancing the results of your everyday skincare regime, by allowing them to penetrate deeper.
- A sense of meditative calm.
Our at-home devices (the Boost LED Mask and Boost LED Bib):
- Are made from comfortable, medical grade silicon and are completely hands free for easy use.
- They mold to your body to ensure optimum light penetration.
- You can use them daily, as an AM pick-me up, or a PM wind-down.
Our in salon treatments:
- Deliver a more powerful dose of light in one session
- Require fewer sessions than our at-home devices
- Are designed for professional use only, in combination with pro-strength skincare products.
5. Can I use my LED Device after being out in the sun?
You don’t need to follow any special guidelines pre- or post-LED light. This makes slotting it into your day easy as can be, and your skin won’t be more sensitised to the sun as it can be after some facials, so you can even take it on holiday, as a support for your skin.
When used prior to sun exposure it will help boost anti-oxidants and protective cells, preparing the skin to deal with the sun’s UV rays (although of course it is essential to still wear sunscreen). Post sun exposure it will have an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin, even if you have had too much sun, and will help soothe, repair and restore your skin cells.